- 许渊冲、许明：The Double Seventh Night
[Double Seventh: the seventh day of seventh lunar month, the Double Seventh Festival]
- 徐忠杰：An Autumn Night
- 张廷琛、Bruce M. Wilson：An Autumn Evening
- 任治稷、余正：Autumn Night*
- 刘克璋：An Autumn Night
- 王大濂：An Autumn Night
- 王福林：On an Autumn Night
- 许渊冲、许明：catch flitting firefly
- 徐忠杰：swat fireflies
- 张廷琛、Bruce M. Wilson：scatter the drifting fireflies
- 任治稷、余正：swat streaking glow-worms
- 刘克璋：swat fireflies
- 王大濂：pat the fireflies
- 王福林：beat the flying fireflies
- 许渊冲、许明：The steps seem steeped in water when cold grows the night.
- 徐忠杰：Scarcely visible, as twilight is near; Cold as water, the stone pavements appear.
- 张廷琛、Bruce M. Wilson：As chill waters of the night envelop the palace steps,
- 任治稷、余正：Palace steps at night cold as water,
- 刘克璋：As the shades of night on palace stone-steps are as cool as water,
- 王大濂：In night’s dim light, the marble steps look like a coldish bay;
- 王福林：Though the white marble steps of the palace are as cool as the water at night
- 许渊冲、许明：Two stars in love
- 徐忠杰：Cowherd and his lassie
- 张廷琛、Bruce M. Wilson：The Herdsman and Weaver Maid**
- 任治稷、余正：Cowherd and Weaving Girl**
- 刘克璋：The mythical lovers: Altair and Vega
- 王大濂：Two longing stars*
[添加了附注the Weaver and the Cowherd separated by the Milky Way]
- 王福林：Altair and Vega
The Double Seventh Night
Autumn has chilled the painted screen in silver moonlight;
A silken fan is used to catch flitting firefly.
The steps seem steeped in water when cold grows the night.
She lies to watch two stars in love meet in the sky.
An Autumn Night
On the pictured screen, a candle throws its light.
One sense the chill of autumn, though it be slight.
A lassie, holding in her hand, a light silken fan,
Goes about swatting fireflies as many as she can.
Scarcely visible, as twilight is near,
Cold as water, the stone pavements appear.
She lies down, as evening scenes into nocturne pass,
Watching the legendary stars “Cowherd and his lass”.
三、张廷琛、Bruce M. Wilson英译《秋夕》
An Autumn Evening
In the flickering autumn candlelight, the painted screen grows cold.
With a small fan of silk gauze*, she scatters the drifting fireflies.
As chill waters of the night envelop the palace steps,
She sits to watch the Herdsman and Weaver Maid**.
* The poem portrays an imperial concubine fallen from favor. Her situation is thus analogous to that of the “small fan of silk gauze” discarded at summer’s end.
** Herdsman…Weaver Maid: Stars positioned south and north of the Milky Way. In popular legend, they were lovers who meet only once a year on the seventh day of the seventh month, when magpies build a bridge for them to cross the “River of Heaven”.
Silver candle, autumn light and cold picture screen,
Small fan of light silk swatting streaking glow-worms.
Palace steps at night cold as water,
Where she sits watching Cowherd and Weaving Girl**.
* The subject of this poem is a palace maid. In ancient China, once a girl was chosen to be a maid in the imperial palace, she became a virtual prisoner for life, no freedom to move around, nor to marry.
** Cowherd and Weaving Girl are lovers in Chinese mythology, identified with stars Altair and Vega. They are separated by the Milky Way and permitted to see each other only once a year on the 7th?day of July when the magpies form a bridge where the star-crossed lovers meet at the halfway point.
An Autumn Night
Autumn moon and a candle cast cold lights on painted screen dimly,
A forsaken maid of honor swats fireflies with silk fan lonely.
As the shades of night on palace stone-steps are as cool as water,
She sits down, watching the mythical lovers: Altair and Vega.
An Autumn Night
The autumn’s silver candlelight shows off the chilly screen;
Patting the fireflies with a silken fan a maiden’s seen.
In night’s dim light, the marble steps look like a coldish bay;
She sits to watch two longing stars* there by the Milky Way.
* Two longing stars: They refer to the Weaver and the Cowherd who were commonly believed to be two stars very much in love with each other but separated by the Milky Way.
On an Autumn Night
The painted screen is made to look chill by the silvery candle with autumn light,
The young palace maid uses a small gauze fan to beat the flying fireflies.
Though the white marble steps of the palace are as cool as the water at night,
Yet she lies down to look up at the Altair and the Vega in the skies.