(Not a) spring chicken
(No longer) young
- At 85, he is no spring chicken, but he is busier than ever.
All fur coat and no knickers
Superficially attractive, physically
- Our new boss sounded like she had a lot of good ideas for the department, but it turns out she's all fur coat and no knickers.
Beauty is only skin deep
External appearance is a superficial basis for judging someone
- Beauty is only skin deep. I think what's really important is finding a balance of mind, body and spirit.
Clean up nicely
Look good when one is dressed up
- All I said was that she cleans up nicely, and she got mad at me!
Very similar in appearance
- He's a dead ringer for Bono from U2.
他的长相很像 U2 乐队的博诺。
Don’t judge a book by its cover
Don’t be deceived by looks
- I still believe that sentence, though not judge a book by its cover, but one's inner world in his face.
An extremely beautiful woman
- She was a knockout in navy and scarlet.
Put one’s face on
- She never leaves the house without putting her face on first.
All dressed up and nowhere to go
Prepared for an event that does not occur
- The space shot was cancelled, so all the astronauts are all dressed up and nowhere to go.