adherent n. 拥护者
- This idea is gaining adherents.
advent n. 来临
- Swallows come by group at the advent of spring.
adversary n. 对手
- His political adversaries were creating a certain amount of trouble for him.
adapt vt. 1. 适应 2. 改编；改装
- The world will be different, and we will have to be prepared to adapt to the change.
- The film has been adapted from a play of the same title.
adjoin vt. 紧邻，毗连
- Fields adjoined the garden and there were no neighbours.
adjourn vt. 延期
- The proceedings have now been adjourned until next week.
addicted adj. 上瘾的
- After about three months, I was no longer addicted to nicotine.
adequate adj. 足够的
- The space available is not adequate for our needs.
adjacent adj. 邻近的
- They complained that they had been trapped inside the police station, but in fact most were seen escaping over the adjacent roofs to safety in nearby buildings.
adverse adj. 不利的；敌对的
- The police said Mr Hadfield's decision would have no adverse effect on the progress of the investigation.